3.2K views

I use the Famous Chocolate Wafers in a dessert every Christmas as my Mother did before me.....why can't you keep the wafers in the stores. Kroger says they were left 2 cases of the cookies and told that was it.....now they are sold out.

It's been this way every year for several years now and I have run out of cookies that I was hoarding in my freezer. Why can't you keep a product that you know we use EVERY year???

These wafers are the only product that is suitable for my dessert and probably others as well. I wonder, is it too much to ask that you have this product available every year?

Product or Service Mentioned: Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Dec 11, 2016.

Comments

Not producing the chocolate wafer product has to be the weirdest business decision I've ever seen. These are in high demand!

Double the price.

Manufacture the product. Sell it, and watch the profits come rolling in!

RIDICULOUS!

Why are the Nabisco famous wafers out of stock everywhere???

I've been looking for these cookies since before Thanksgiving. Everyone was disappointed that we didn't have icebox cake.

I promised I would try for Christmas and I still can't find them. what gives?

Why not just make the cookies available again?????

How is my 96 year old grandmother supposed to make her famous icebox cake next year? Our whole family is an uproar over the discontinuing of these wafers.

I've had the same problems every year -- once I bought a case and stored them in the freezer. Don't understand why Nabisco makes this product so hard to find. Very frustrating -- can't make double chocolate rum balls without them -- which leads to cranky friends...

So frustrated not to find the cookies for the holiday treat I grew up with, but I do have a recipe that works well. I use it to make gluten free Ice Box Cake for my daughter with celiac disease.

For those looking for a recipe for the chocolate wafers, give this a try: Chocolate Wafers Adapted from Alice Medrich’s Pure Dessert As an icebox cookie, these will take longer to soften than the store-bought wafers, so set aside more time than you normally would. I think 24 hours in the fridge would be ideal. Makes 50 to 60 1 3/4-inch wafers. However, I cut my thinner than suggested and yielded more.

1 1/2 cups (6.75 ounces) all-purpose flour 3/4 cup (2.4 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder (see Note) 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened 3 tablespoons whole milk 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of food processor and pulse several times to mix thoroughly. Cut the butter into about 12 chunks and add them to the bowl. Pulse several times. Combine the milk and vanilla in a small cup.

With the processor running, add the milk mixture and continue to process until the mixture clumps around the blade or the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a large bowl or a cutting board and knead a few times to make sure it is evenly blended. Form the dough into a log about 14 inches long and 1 3/4 inches in diameter. Wrap the log in wax paper or foil and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour, or until needed.

Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut the log of dough into slices a scant 1/4-inch thick (I went thinner, closer to 1/8 of inch. If you’re trying to emulate the store-bought wafers, slice as thin as you can, and watch the baking time carefully, as it might be less.) and place them one inch apart on the lined sheets (cookies will spread).

Bake, rotating the baking sheet from top to bottom and back to front about halfway through baking, for a total of 12 to 15 minutes. The cookies will puff up and deflate; they are done about 1 1/2 minutes after they deflate. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets on racks, or slide the parchment onto racks to cool completely. These cookies may be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks or be frozen for up to two months.

Note: These cookies should crisp as they cool. If they don’t, you’re not baking them long enough, says Medrich — in which case, return them to the oven to reheat and bake a little longer, then cool again.

11-21-18 Yes, I can't find them or buy them anywhere. I use them for special occasion desserts.

My family is always looking forward to me bringing the Icebox Cake. Why aren't they available???

When will they be available??? Thank you.

This won’t help you who need the whole cookies for your cake, but if you need these for cheesecake crusts as I do, Whole Foods carries a cookie called Jovial Organic Einhorn cookies. Same dry texture and because I am putting thru a food processor they are good substitute.

Totally agree. My brother, who just came home from a tour in Afghanistan, asked me to make the icebox cake for Thanksgiving.

Every supermarket in town has the chocolate wafers on their website. None of them have the chocolate wafers in the store. I'm going to be substituting chocolate graham crackers and keeping my fingers crossed.

The chocolate wafers aren't even available online. I'm wondering if they've just stopped making them?

to xarcady #1600965

try to make your own? I posted the recipe above... good luck and thank your brother for his service!

Went to 5 stores looking for the Nabisco chocolate wafers only to find none. Why can’t stores carry them for the holidays (ie thanksgiving and Christmas)? They are needed for making an old fashioned ice box cake.

I could not find them in the 3 local grocery chains I visited this week. Two of the stores had shelf tags, but no product.

I have had the same problem finding these in Dallas, Texas! And my family in Atlanta, Georgia has too.

What is up with the lack of availability? Is there a secret to finding these for our holiday icebox cake recipe?

Wtf Nabisco?

Moscow, Idaho, United States #1253765

Check it out. There is a recipe for these wafers on the internet, and the home-made ones are far superior to store bought anyway.

to Anonymous #1448900

Please post the site where I can find this recipe! I cannot make my Irish coffee pie without them. I mean I can use graham crackers but it is nowhere near the same.